Thursday, November 06, 2008

God is in Control

I have been thinking I should blog something in regard to the election but have been struggling with exactly what I should say. Even though I have been very silent in the blog world on this issue it is not because I don't have a strong opinion. Well just before I typed blogger in the address bar I visited the web site and blog of Brian Brodersen. Brian is the Associate Pastor to Chuck Smith at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California. He is also my favorite preacher/ teacher out there today.

Here are his words about the election and might I just say, Amen, Amen and Amen!

"It is truly an historic moment in the United States of America. The American people have just elected the first black man to the presidency.
Although Barack Obama was not my candidate of choice because of his liberal moral views, I do think that something good has happened in his being elected to the presidency. We the American people have taken a huge step in putting the sin of racism behind us and that’s something that causes my heart to rejoice.

Having said that, the reality is, we here in the US, come January 2009, will be governed by the most politically and morally liberal administration in the history of this country. What are we Christians who disagree with the political, moral and spiritual views of our elected leaders to do? Three things come to mind:

First: Remember God is sovereign! Psalm 75:6-7 reminds us that the Lord appoints and removes rulers.
“For exaltation comes neither from the east, nor from the west nor from the south. But God is the judge: He puts down one and exalts another”.

Second: Walk humbly. Paul put it like this to Titus-
“Remind them (followers of Jesus) to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men”. Titus 3:1-2

Third: We need to pray for our leaders whoever they are and wherever we are.
“I urge, then, first of all that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth”. 1 Tim 2:1-3

I do believe in the sovereignty of God. We prayed, we fasted, we voted and now we must trust that God is in control and is working all things according to the counsel of His perfect will. In that great fact I rest."

Grace and peace,

Brian

No comments: